Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake

I experienced my first earthquake today! I was sitting on my bed helping Kaiya read a book when we heard this loud rumble start and as I was starting to get up with her the house started to shake we rushed to the door frame while calling for Jarron and he joined us just as it was ending. It wasn't a big one, it didn't even move anything in my apartment, but it rattled me. I was physically shaking. I just kept thinking: is this the best place to be? should I be somewhere else? is that it? will there be more? what if it had been longer? I guess it's just part of being here with my kids by myself and hoping I'll be able to protect them!
My kids were fascinated that the house shook and wanted to know why. And it became all we could talk about for the next hour. Me I just want to know, where is the safest place for us to be in our apartment? The news tells me we are about 15-20 miles from the epicenter and it was a 5.4 quake. I'm just glad we only felt 15 seconds worth. And now I will be setting out to be better educated so I feel a little calmer if/when it happens again!

6 comments:

Megan, John and kids said...

I'm sure it's also a lot scarier as a mother. I know for me it's scary to think that I might not be able to protect my kids the way I want to. I don't ever want them to be hurt or scared and so it feels like so much more responsibility. I'm sure that you did the right thing, and that this will give you the motivation to be fully prepared in the future.

SmithFamily said...

I am so glad that we weren't there for that! Hope you guys are doing well!

Land Family said...

I love that you had to spend an hour explaining what happened to your kids. I feel like I have to do that for everything with mine. Glad you are okay. There, now I commented.

Eliza said...

scary! I don't know what to do but what you did is what I would have done. Felt any after shocks?

Heath'e' said...

I agree Megan, a lot of my fears were mostly the want to keep my kids safe and the worry and knowledge that you can't protect them from everything.
Thanks for the concern I'm glad we are safe too! And to Liz, no I didn't feel any after shocks but I have friends that live across the street that said they felt one tiny one.
I just hope I don't live here when the "big one" comes!!

rachelsaysso said...

I just read a very helpful article that said you shouldn't stand in doorways or get under furniture (Dear CA education system: You totally lied to me all of those years. Love, Rachel) It said that instead you should get down on the floor next to something large.