Thursday, September 2, 2010

call me crazy

No really, you really will call me crazy after reading this post.  Most of my California friends know that we live in a small apartment.  I always figured it was near 800 sq/ft.  It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I learned it was only 728sq/ft.  I know your gasping in horror wondering how it is possible our now family of 5 can function in this small space.  Some days I feel we don't function. The kids take over the living room because as they say "Mom, our room is too small". Truth is if they'd keep their room clean it's a decent space to play but they seem to get all their toys out, leave them where they landed and then bring half their room out to play with in the living room.

Anyway, we have been contemplating moving to a bigger place, you know one with three bedrooms maybe even 2 baths. We've even found some really nice places.  But what I've come to the conclusion is that they all come at a price, a hefty price.  Like I'd rather be paying a mortgage then putting that amount of money in an apartment.  Or like I decided I'd rather have fun outside the house with that money and live a little squished for one more year.  I guess it's all about choices.  Do I want to be comfortable in my home with more space and the same to possibly more amenities. OR do I want to stay living in a small space make a few tweaks to better organize and then DO things. You know like: dates with my hubby, lessons of some sort for the kids, monthly activities to. . . oh I don't know the aquarium, Disneyland or some where fun like that!?

It really was an either or.  So I'm choosing. . . Deep breath. . . yes crazy Heather is CHOOSING to stay where we are. This way we can enjoy some fun luxuries outside the house that we wouldn't be able to do if we were putting a lot more money in rent towards a bigger place.  So I feel a little crazy, but with Kaiya and Jarron in School and not here all day everyday, I have a feeling it wont be so bad.

But if I start complaining about my tiny space, just remind me that this was MY choice! My choice and no one else. Wish me/us luck, we'll probably need it ;)

8 comments:

Michelle said...

You are so cute; not crazy!!!

But I vote bigger place and do free stuff. :) But that's just me.

Your kids are so lucky to have such a great fun mom!!

Jeannie said...

You're not crazy. We did that for a long time and enjoyed the extras (date nights to real places, vacations, etc.). Now that we're in a bigger place (which I do love) we don't have those all the time. It's definitely a trade-off. It's best to be happy with what you have, so good for you!! :)

Mendy's Memiors said...

Hang in there Heath. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Steve and I are in the same spot: same square footage, same ONE bath. I have come to love my little cubby. We have many fond memories here. We have chosen to stay for the same reasons. It is important to keep the family FUN!Just think of our wonderful Pioneer families and their tiny cabins. Great things happen to those who are patient. You are a shining example of that!!!!

The Cahoons! said...

You can do it! A year will go by soooo fast. Plus, dates and outings are necessities! Phill and I went through a similar decision about staying with my in-laws or taking out a student loan and live on it. In the long run we decided to not get into debt and survive until April. Sometimes I think I'm crazy too. Scratch that, I am crazy. But I keep telling myself it's not that much longer...

Camille and Paul said...

Ha ha. I have been complaining about Jackson and the new baby having to share a room! I can't imagine a family of five in less than 800 square feet. Way to go! I am glad you will have the school hours to have a little more space!

Christina said...

If anyone can do it, you can. Having just left a 2700 sq foot home to my parents house I learned a lot. We accumulated too much stuff and too much of my time is spent moving that stuff around.
You will have the rest of your lives to live in a big place. We have decided to go backwards from bigger to smaller.

Janae Moss said...

You are talented, beautiful, and strong. You can do whatever you put your mind to, I've seen it. I love you!

Grand Pooba said...

Hey! Looky here, I'm back and reading your blog. Funny thing is that you haven't posted for a month but that's okay because I haven't read for a month!

I luv you and your little space. I think it's awesome that you'd rather give your family the opportunity to do fun things than to be in a bigger house.

You're such a good mom! And I miss YOUR sexy butt!